A roadmap for microenterprise growth through information technology
- M. Kamal (2013). International Journal of Management Practice, 4-23
- Abstract: Information Technology (IT) opens new opportunities for microenterprises to improve their businesses. However, challenges to using IT impede these businesses from growing into drivers for socio-economic development. This paper investigates the adoption of IT in two microenterprises in an underserved community of Omaha, Nebraska. Following a case study approach using action research methodology, this research provides insight into the key challenges and opportunities facing micro-enterprises in their use of IT to create value for their businesses. This study outlines an innovative process with an emphasis on relationship-building, customised training, context sensitivity, and solutions that target strongly-perceived needs of the businesses studied to help facilitate technology adoption. The paper's contribution is in the methodology for facilitating the adoption of IT in micro-enterprises and also discusses effects on socio-economic development resulting from the adoption of technology. The paper concludes with guidelines for practitioners in assisting microenterprises with technology. Copyright 2013 Inderscience Enterprises Ltd.
- Theme: Technology
- Keywords: Action research, Economic development, Information technology, Intervention, IT, Labour productivity, Micro-enterprise, Social development
- Reference type: Journal Article
- Geographic location: United States, North America, Global North