- W. F. Maloney (2004). World Development, 1159-1178
- Abstract: The paper draws on recent evidence-economic, sociological and anthropological-from Latin America to forward a view of the informal sector in developing countries primarily as an unregulated microentrepreneurial sector and not as a disadvantaged residual of segmented labor markets. It offers alternative explanations for many of the characteristics of the sector customarily regarded as evidence of its inferiority. 2004 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Theme: Formal/Informal, Microbusiness profiles
- Keywords: Informal employment, Labor markets, Self-employment, economic activity, informal sector, labor market, microenterprise, self employment
- Reference type: Journal Article
- Geographic location: South America, Global South